I’m Kristi Casey and I’m considering a run for Congress to unseat House Representative Andrew Clyde for Georgia District 9. He’s the guy who has an image of an AR-15 on his campaign posters, in spite of gun violence being the No. 1 cause of death for kids. He also defended the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, saying the people who killed cops and tried to subvert democracy looked like well-behaved tourists.
I know the good people of Northeast Georgia. I’m blessed to be one. We live in a beautiful place with abundant resources that attract tourists from all over. But we have real problems — poverty, drug addiction, and other rural issues. We deserve better than a representative who wants to give guns more rights than the people he serves.
What I believe
- There’s a way to protect our Second Amendment rights AND second graders — gun violence is the No. 1 kid killer. That has to stop.
- Every human being has the right to make choices about their own body. If someone else or the government is doing that for us, then we’re not free.
- We all have a right to live in our communities without the threat of fear or violence because of who we are, what we believe, or who we love. Everyone has a right to liberty, justice, and the pursuit of happiness.
- If the U.S. is one of the wealthiest nations on Earth, there’s no reason why citizens should be going hungry or fear losing their homes, even when holding down multiple jobs.
- We have a right to clean water and air, healthy food, access to shelter, quality public education, and affordable health care.
- There should be term limits and tax reform. The dues we pay to live in a free and fair society should benefit us, not special interests or foreign governments.
- We have a right to government representatives who are fighting for the rights of all their constituents — not just the ones who write checks or agree with them.
What do you think? Would you support me if I ran for office?